Thankful for our Dedicated Product Team and Version 2.8.0
It’s that time of year when you feel like a big jerk if don’t look around and count your blessings.
We didn’t have to look far. Our product team has been slaving away for months on version 2.8.0 of the EventBoard iPad app, and now it’s available in the App Store.
Those of us on other teams knew it would be cool – we got sneak peeks now and then over the dev crew’s shoulders – but it was hard to envision just how cool.
Here are two of the features that we’re super excited about. (The update also includes numerous other improvements and fixes.)
Work Requests for Conference Room Tech Problems
You’ve heard the saying, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Well, that’s often the case for equipment in conference rooms … except it is broken, but the people who could fix it were never informed.
“Our customer friends in IT departments have been asking for something like this for a long time,” said our co-founder and CTO, Zach Holmquist.
“It’s going to be huge for them to have the ability to be alerted right away when there’s a problem with conference room resources. And long-term, we’ll build on this feature so it does even more.”
How’s that for a teaser?
Anyway, there’s plenty to appreciate about this feature now. Here’s how it works:
- If a tech issue arises during the meeting, the organizer or an attendee can go to the EventBoard display, tap the Menu option at the bottom of the screen, and choose Report an Issue.
- The display shows a list of resource types to choose from: Apple TV, Chromecast, iPad, for example.
- They click the icon for the resource that’s having problems, then use the on-screen keypad to describe the issue.
- Once they’re done typing, bam – an email alert gets sent to the person who’s set up to receive it.
(The video below walks you through it.)
Pretty nifty, right?
Once you’ve upgraded your iPads to version 2.8.0 or newer, follow these handy instructions to get Work Requests up and running.
Maps: Interactive, Customized Floorplan Views With Real-Time Room Status
This feature definitely falls into the “think big” category.
We’re lucky to have on staff iOS developer genius Donald Hays. He worked alongside our most senior product designer, Scott Jensen, to make the dream of an interactive maps feature for EventBoard into reality.
Check out this video demonstrating the Maps feature:
Now, thanks to our internal map builder tool – and a heck of a lot of impressive math – we can create for our customers interactive floor maps of their workspaces that show real-time availability status.
The maps can either be viewed in a 3D-ish view (isometric) or in a flat view (orthographic).
The goal, as Donald put it, is for the Maps feature to “cast daylight over your space, illuminate your destinations, and fill you with joy.”
Here’s what you need to do to get the Maps feature and all the joy it promises:
- Find digital floorplan files for the floor, building or campus you want mapped. Files should be in PNG, PDF or JPEG formats, at the best resolution that you can find.
- Make sure scale is indicated on the map.
- Mark room names on the image file. For the final map to work properly, these names have to match the way you’ve set up your spaces in the EventBoard dashboard.
UPDATE: As of EventBoard 2.8.2, customers can now ask to have the following annotations added to their interactive maps: printers, food, drink, fountain, office supplies, first aid and fire extinguisher. Additional options are in the works.
The Maps feature is part of our Enterprise Premium pricing package, which includes translating your image files into interactive maps for your EventBoard displays, plus periodic map updates. (Purchase Premium licenses before the end of the year and get a $10/license discount.)
Request a demo to find out how to get EventBoard Maps going for your company, or contact your customer success manager if you’re already a customer.
Questions? Comments? Virtual high-fives for our product team? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or leave ‘em in the Comments field below.